Salt therapy works in two parts. First, the Himalayan salt rocks emit negative ions. To best way to explain this is, injured and diseased cells are electron-deficient, so submitting the body to an electron-rich environment benefits and heals cells by absorption. Second, salt in its microcrystalline form has antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral effects on the epithelial cells (one of the body’s most important for protection and secretion). The salt helps your cells consolidate inflammation and mucus, so your body can get rid of it. People with asthma, bronchitis, allergies, cystic fibrosis, psoriasis, and general skin inflammation show major improvement after treatments. There is even some evidence that suggests salt therapy can improve the immune, cardiovascular, and endocrine systems.
Additional benefits are reduced stress and headaches, increased energy, and better sleep patterns. Salt ions purify the air and may increase lung capacity and reduce physical ailments for adults, children and athletes. Treatments are recommended to help keep the body healthy during flu or allergy seasons.
Skin conditions can also be improved with salt therapy (psoriasis, rashes, eczema, and acne). Table salt, sodium chloride, is dehydrating, but pure mineral salts have natural moisturizing properties and support the skin’s water balance and barrier function by attracting moisture to the skin. Minerals are necessary for cell function and detoxification, so mineral salts have strong rejuvenating properties.
Some other benefits are:
- Detoxifies the body by balancing systemic pH
- Improves mineral status of the body
- Reduces muscle cramps by improving minerals and hydration
- Helps balance blood sugar
- Supports hormone balance for everyone, no matter what hormonal issues you face
- Helps balance blood pressure because it provides unrefined, mineral-rich salt in an ionic solution
- Improves sleep by supporting blood sugar and hormone balance
- Acts as a powerful antihistamine
- Supports weight loss by balancing hormones and improving energy
- Supports thyroid and adrenal function
- Improves hydration by providing trace minerals
Click below for more specific informaion on how Himalayan Salt Therapy can benefit specific health issues.